
Rick Edwards kicked off with BBC bosses in public before landing new boxing gig
Rick Edwards didn't take the axing of his BBC show lying down
Rick Edwards claimed he was behind a campaign to save his quiz show, Impossible, after it was axed by the BBC. The television presenter hosted the show, which ran from 2017 to 2021, for all eight seasons.
It was in July 2022 that Edwards confirmed that the show had been cancelled, simply saying "the BBC in its infinite wisdom". And the presenter did not quietly accept that the show was no longer on the airwaves.
The 46-year-old, who was appointed host of BBC Radio 5 Live's sports-based panel show Fighting Talk, took to Instagram to reveal that consistent efforts were being made to bring back the show through weekly write-ins to Radio Times.
Sharing a photographed page of the magazine, he wrote: "I write a letter to the Radio Times every week under the pseudonym 'Sandie Hobley', and FINALLY they've printed one!"
The most recent letter read: "Am I alone in wondering why the BBC don't appear to have commissioned any more series of Impossible, hosted by Rick Edwards, who now presents the Breakfast show (weekdays) and Fighting Talk (Saturday) on Radio 5 Live?
READ MORE: Jake Paul told he made mistake with Anthony Joshua fight rulesREAD MORE: Anthony Joshua includes himself in list of best heavyweights in history"This was easily the best new quiz format of recent years, and I have so enjoyed the early afternoon re-runs on BBC2. Without any disrespect to newer quizzes, their gimmicky runways and lights are so distracting that the quiz element almost gets drowned out.
"Please, please, BBC, get this one back on as soon as possible – it's worthy of an evening slot, but I do hope it would remain a shining star in the daytime schedules." It remains to be seen whether Edwards was, in fact, Sandie Hobley or jokingly taking credit for the attempts to revive Impossible.
Edwards is set to host the boxing action this weekend that will see Frazer Clarke take on Jeamie 'TKV' Tshikeva for the vacant British heavyweight title. The full card is expected to air on BBC iPlayer from 6pm until 10pm, while BBC Two is scheduled to provide live coverage of the fights from 8pm and 10pm.
Clarke, 34, admitted the title can act as a springboard for greatness as he told ESPN: "The likes of Henry Cooper, Anthony Joshua, Tyson Fury and Lennox Lewis have all held the British title belt and look at what they have done after they won it.
"It's like a coming of age, a natural progress and it's such a big deal. I know what the British title can do for a career and I'm just focusing on winning the fight versus TKV than thinking about future fights.
"I've had one comeback fight. I wish had been busier but the promoter [Boxxer] had a situation going on so I have been waiting around and now I've finally got the opportunity."
Source: Read Original Article