Borussia Dortmund take on Bayern Munich in the Bundesliga’s Saturday evening kickoff. The two rivals head into Der Klassiker level on 15 points from eight matches with Bayern one spot ahead of their upcoming opponents.
Borussia Dortmund vs Bayern Munich
Bundesliga (Der Klassiker)
Date: Saturday, October 8, 2022
Kick-off at 17:30 UK/ 18:30 CET
Venue: Signal Iduna Park (Dortmund, Germany)
Despite dropping two of their past three league games, Dortmund should be confident going into their matchup with Bayern, especially after claiming an amazing 4-1 victory away to Sevilla in the Champions League midweek.
Raphael Guerreiro, Karim Adeyemi, and Julian Brandt all scored as Edin Terzic‘s team recovered from their disappointing 3-2 loss away to FC Koln last weekend. England international Jude Bellingham, who captained BVB in Seville, became the first ever teenager to score in three consecutive Champions League matches.
Prior to their trip to Cologne, Dortmund was missing a number of players due to injuries, so they will have been disappointed to leave empty-handed after taking the lead through Brandt’s goal at the half. In addition, the loss allowed Bayern to retake first place in the league standings before the Der Klassiker.
Still, had Terzic been offered sitting level on points with the Bavarians at this stage of the season – as well as gaining six points from a possible nine to open up a five-point gap in second place in Group G – then the 39-year-old may well have taken it.
Given their forthcoming opponents’ relative lack of form in recent times, he may well feel that it is time for Dortmund to deliver in front of a raucous Westfalenstadion and prove that they have what it takes to stay the course in the title race this campaign.
Borussia Dortmund vs Bayern Munich – Head to Head and Key Numbers
- There have been 133 competitive matches between the two teams. Bayern Munich have exactly twice as many victories as Dortmund, giving them a comfortable advantage over the host team.
- The winning percentage for Bayern Munich is 66 to 33, with 34 games ending in draws. In the previous 14 games between the two rivals, Munich have record of 12 victories and Dortmund have winning record just twice, yielding clear-cut results.
- The Bavarians are the clear favorites in this match-up since they already have eight straight games victories.
- In each of Bayern’s last six games against Borussia Dortmund across all competitions, at least three goals have been scored.
- With 23 goals scored and six goals allowed, Bayern has the league’s best offensive and defensive record.
- This season, Dortmund has won three of its four Bundesliga home games by a score of 1-0.
- Munich has only failed to score in one away game this season across all competitions, and that game against Augsburg last month resulted in a 1-0 loss.
After failing to make move to Sevilla due to common cold, Marius Wolf and Mats Hummels are likely to be available for the Bundesliga clash after recovering. Hummels may return in his centre back place replacing Niklas Sule. Sule may miss the opportunity to avenge his old team after moving from Munich to Dortmund in the summer.
Following a muscle tear, goalkeeper Gregor Kobel was called to a matchday squad for the first time in over a month on Wednesday. He should be well enough to replace Alexander Meyer in goal. Mateu Morey, Jamie Bynoe-Gittens, Mahmoud Dahoud and club captain Marco Reus all in sideline due to injury and as per report Sebastien Haller is unavailable due to a testicular tumour.
Meanwhile for Bayern, Muller and Kimmich both are not in the squad due to being COVID-19 meaning that Marcel Sabitzer and Leon Goretzka may lineup alongside each other in the center mid fielding together in the season. Mane is taking left side for attacking as to create center place for Gnabry as Nagelsmann
In order to allow Serge Gnabry to play a more central role towards the middle of the week, Mane is continuing to the left side. Nagelsmann could make use of a similarly flexible system with Musiala working in between the lines. Due to probable injury absences, Bayern’s back four is almost a lock to be composed of Lucas Hernandez, Bouna Sarr, and Kingsley Coman.
Borussia Dortmund possible starting lineup;
Kobel, Meunier, Hummels, Schlotterbeck, Guerreiro, Bellingham, Can, Ozcan, Adeyemi, Brandt, Malen
Bayern Munich possible starting lineup;
Neuer, Pavard, Upamecano, De Ligt, Davies, Sabitzer, Goretzka, Sane, Musiala, Mane, Gnabry
Final line ups can be seen live at Bundesliga official site before the match starts.
- Borussia Dortmund vs Bayern Munich Prediction
The Der Klassiker on Saturday should be interesting, as both clubs have strong offensive capabilities.
Bayern, who have total nine goals score in two games, have appeared to be close to returning to their best recently and they may too good for their competitors.
We say: Borussia Dortmund 2-3 Bayern Munich
Tip 1: Munich to win
Tip 2: Goals: Over 2.5
- Where to watch Borussia Dortmund vs Bayern Munich match?
For those who are residing in Nepal or outside, the game can be watched directly on 1xbet site (www.1xbet.com).