Kevin De Bruyne might miss up to four months of action, due to a hamstring injury,
Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has stated that Kevin De Bruyne will have hamstring surgery and will be out for up to four months.
The 32-year-old playmaker was forced off in the 23rd minute of City’s 3-0 Premier League win over Burnley last Friday after reinjuring his hamstring in the Champions League final victory over Inter Milan in June.
De Bruyne did not play a single minute of pre-season this summer before going on as a second-half replacement for the final half-hour of Arsenal’s Community Shield loss on penalties earlier this month.
City’s No.17 was then selected captain for their first Premier League game against Burnley. However, he pulled up midway through the first half and walked off down the tunnel.
After the encounter at Turf Moor, Guardiola issued a troubling update on De Bruyne’s condition, indicating that the playmaker “will be out for a while.”
Kevin De Bruyne will be out for four months following Hamstring Injury
De Bruyne is said to have undergone a scan on Monday to determine the seriousness of his hamstring injury, and he has been left out of Man City’s 22-man squad for Wednesday’s UEFA Super Cup match against Sevilla.
Guardiola has now revealed that he would be without De Bruyne for an extended amount of time ahead of the game in Athens, with the club examining if surgery is the best option for his ailment.
Guardiola stated at a press conference on Tuesday, “It’s a serious injury.” We must decide whether or not he requires surgery. He’ll be out for several months.
“It’s likely that we’ll decide to have the surgery in the coming days.”
“He could be out of commission for three to four months.”
“Kevin’s injury is a huge setback for us. But, at the same time, we must look ahead. Kevin’s skills are irreplaceable, but there is an opportunity for others, and I’m confident they will seize it.”
When asked if Man City could look for a successor in the transfer market, Guardiola said, “We will see.” We haven’t spoken to (football director) Txiki [Begiristain] about what transpired, but we’ll see what happens.”