H2H, Lineups and Betting Tips
Ajax vs Liverpool: Ajax must defeat Liverpool to stay in the Champions League when the two teams meet on Wednesday at the Johann Cruyff Arena.
A point would be enough for the Reds to advance to the knockout stages with one match remaining, though Jurgen Klopp’s side may require a victory to overtake Napoli at the top of Group A.
About the match
Ajax vs Liverpool
The UEFA Champions League
Date: Wednesday, October 26, 2022
Kick-off at 20:00 UK/ 21:00 CET
Venue: Johan Cruijff ArenA (Amsterdam, Netherlands)
Liverpool is eighth in the Premier League table, struggling to climb up but is repeatedly failing to live up as expectations this season. The Merseyside giants can not afford defeat by any blunder this week as they we defeated by Nottingham Forest in their previous game by only one goal.
Ajax, on the other hand, is currently at the top of the Eredivisie table but also has ended up finding their advance on the domestic front. After destroying RKC Waalwijk by 4-1 over the weekend the hosts are confident going into this match.
Here is all the information you require about the game.
Ajax vs Liverpool- Head to Head and Key Numbers
- Liverpool has a good record against Ajax, having won three of the five meetings between the two teams, while Ajax has only won one.
- Ajax have lost their last three European competition matches against Liverpool, and have lost four such games in a row against only two other teams.
- Liverpool won their previous away game against Ajax in 2020, but they were defeated by the Dutch giants 5-1 on their only other visit in 1966.
- Ajax has only won one of their last eight European home games against English teams, and that victory came against Manchester City in 2012.
- Liverpool are unbeaten in their last seven European away games against Dutch opponents since a 5-1 defeat against Ajax in 1966.
- This season, Ajax has conceded four headed goals in the UEFA Champions League, more than any other team in the competition.
Due to injuries, Ajax are going to play without the youngsters Ahmetcan Kaplan, Devyne Rensch, and Mohamed Ihattaren, while midfielder Kenneth Taylor is questionable due to a muscle strain.
Despite scoring a brace in his side’s 4-1 win over RKC Waalwijk at the weekend, Brian Brobbey is likely to make way for Mohammed Kudus in attack, with the Ghana forward potentially boosted by a superb equalizer at Anfield last month.
Meanwhile, Liverpool may miss out Diaz, Jota, and Joel Matip due to injuries, but Nunez, Thiago Alcantara, and Ibrahima Konate seems to return to the match-day squad.
Nunez and Thiago can almost certainly start if they are available, while Konate can replace Joe Gomez alongside Virgil van Dijk depending on the stage of his recent strain.
As Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Naby Keita, both are already success to the training following long-term muscle injuries. However, neither of them were given the name to the Reds’ Champions League squad.
Ajax possible starting lineup;
Pasveer, Sanchez, Timber, Bassey, Blind, Klaassen, Alvarez, Berghuis, Tadic, Kudus, Bergwijn
Liverpool possible starting lineup;
Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Konate, Van Dijk, Robertson, Henderson, Thiago, Elliott, Firmino, Nunez, Salah
Final line ups will be availble at UEFA Champions League official site before the match starts.
Ajax vs Liverpool Prediction
We predict a highly competitive game on Wednesday, with both teams needing a positive result to advance to the knockout stages.
Given that a draw is essentially useless to Ajax, Schreuder will almost certainly go all out for victory, potentially playing into Liverpool’s hands in the process.
We say: Ajax 1-2 Liverpool
- Tip 1: Liverpool to Win
- Tip 2: Both Team to Score
- Tip 3: Goals: Over 2.5
Where to watch Ajax vs Liverpool match?
Those living in Nepal or somewhere can watch the match live on 1xbet’s official website (www.1xbet.com).